As political parties in Nigeria prepare for the General Elections with screening of hopefuls and primaries, attacks continue in parts of Nigeria. Many politicians who cleared these initial stages have been rejoicing and those who lost are crying.
One of the seven teachers abducted alongside children of Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, on Friday, was beheaded in a video posted by the abductors on Sunday amid all that, Daily Trust reported.
This is even as parents are yet to get information on the whereabouts of their children abducted from a school in Borno State last Friday also.
This is as suspected members of the Lakurawa terror organization massacred seven soldiers in an ambush in Runji village in Illela Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
According to local accounts, the event happened last week Saturday evening when troops were returning from a military raid on a Lakurawa hideout when one of their trucks broke down. The attack is one of numerous on military members in recent weeks when several have made the ultimate sacrifice.
Suspected bandits have killed eleven persons, including a pregnant woman, in Katsina State on Sunday after they assaulted a market in Bakori Local Government Area of the state.
Our reporter at the scene said the terrorists raided the Guga Grains Market in broad daylight, firing indiscriminately and killing several people instantly.
But the military has seen victories in the war against insurgents. The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) said that in conjunction with United State forces, the killing of its second-in-command, Abu-Bilal al-Minuki on Saturday, further led to the killing of over 20 ISIS/ISWAP combatants in numerous US-Nigeria air strikes in Metele, Borno State.
The Director Defence Information at the DHQ, Samaila Uba, stated in a statement yesterday that the strikes were executed following “observed convergence and migration of terrorist elements”.
“The ongoing operations come in the wake of the neutralization of ISIS commander Abu-Bilal al-Minuki and are part of sustained efforts to disrupt terrorist networks, remove them from the battlefield and deny the terrorists any safe haven within Nigeria,” the statement adds.
Bandits decapitate abducted Oyo teacher
One of the kidnapped teachers of the Community High School, Michael Oyedokun has been killed. The attackers had seized staff, students and pupils of Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School and L.A. All in the region. Primary school, It was discovered that at than 40 persons were abducted in the attack.
A new video purportedly released by the attackers on Sunday showed Oyedokun being beheaded. Video received on Telegram yesterday by our source indicated the teacher was gruesomely executed after being bound and forced to talk. The footage has generated new fears about the safety of the remaining victims.
This latest incident has plunged residents, families of the victims and natives into sadness as they continue to press security services and the Oyo State government to increase rescue efforts to free those remaining in captivity before they are killed.
Special Adviser on Media to Governor Seyi Makinde, Dr Suleimon Olanrewaju, in a statement yesterday, confirmed the killing of the teacher, adding that the governor extended his condolences to the family of the victim and assured that his government would explore both kinetic and non-kinetic approaches to rescue others in the kidnappers’ den.
He said that about six suspects in the kidnapping event had been detained.
He also expressed his support for families of the tactical team of soldiers, Amotekun Corps and local vigilantes who sacrificed their life in the rescue operation.
The agents died when they encountered Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) set by the abductors, he said.
‘The wounded security people are reacting well to the treatment and the government will take care of them at any cost,’ he said.
Religious entities and other concerned parties were urged to be patient and assured that the government will rescue and reunite the victims with their families.
So please, there may not be rapid remedies, but we will continue to work hard to try to resolve this quickly.”
“What we know at this point is that seven teachers were abducted. And sadly we got a video this morning, that one of the instructors, I understand the mathematics teacher, was slain by the terrorists,” he said.
“According to information available from the Commissioner of Police, about six individuals have been arrested in the locality,” he added.
We think some of them are informants or are running logistics for the terrorists.
“Another security outfit in the state has also arrested three persons of interest,” he said.
Governor Makinde added meanwhile that his government was ready to listen to the grievances of the abductors if it would lead to the quick and safe return of the victims. He, for his part, declared his government would not yield to terror.
Tinubu condemns attack, tells NASS on state police legislation
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has denounced the assassination of one of the abducted teachers saying that the federal government will assist with the state to rescue the captives.
“A rescue operation is ongoing,” said Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy in a statement.
The President also urged the National Assembly to hasten the passage of State Police laws to enable them to take over underserved areas.
The presidency stated security operatives are “working round the clock to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits and their collaborators within the community.”
President Tinubu commiserated with Governor Seyi Makinde, the administration and the people of Oyo State over the catastrophe, assuring them that the federal government will work with the state government to rescue the victims.
“I am saddened to hear of the reported killing of one of the teachers abducted by the gunmen who invaded the community. My condolences to Governor Seyi Makinde and I welcome the efforts he has taken on the problem. My heart goes out to the families of the victims who were kidnapped.
“The federal government is collaborating with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I salute the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their swift action and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.”
“I have directed that the IGP personally lead the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough any time now. All the bandits and their local helpers will be fished out and made to face the full force of the law.
Kidnapping cases further render urgent the development of state police to man some of our under-served areas. The president remarked, “The National Assembly must fast-track the law establishing state police.
PDP faction condemns teacher’s killing, pupils’ kidnapping
The event has also been denounced by the Interim National Working Committee (INWC) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chaired by Kabiru Tanimu Turaki.
The PDP said the assassination of a mathematics teacher among those abducted from the three institutions was a further proof of the rising insecurity in the country.
The party said insecurity under the present administration had become “the lived reality of citizens” and accused the government of lacking both the capacity and the political will to solve the situation.
The statement said the latest tragedy adds to a ‘endless catalogue of victims and has further fuelled a rising ransom economy that continues to impoverish Nigerians.
The PDP sympathised with the relatives of the murdered and abducted victims, but called on the government to move beyond “performative assurances” and put in place pragmatic, continuous and result-oriented security measures.
Oyo CAN Calls for Prayer, Fasting Over School Abductions
The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) Oyo State branch has designated Wednesday, May 20, a day of prayer and fasting for the release of the abductees.
CAN, in a statement by its chairman, Rev. Elisha Ogundiya, said the attack was condemnable, adding that schools should be safe havens and not targets for criminals.
“The trauma caused to these children, teachers and families is immeasurable,” the group added.
CAN welcomed the efforts of the Oyo State Government and security services, calling for the prompt release of the victims, increased security in sensitive areas and the prosecution of the offenders.
The group also urged community security measures and better school safety standards to prevent future attacks. It advised locals to remain calm and help security officials with vital information.
CAN urged all churches in the state to hold prayer and fasting on Wednesday, concluding at 6 p.m.
Parents of kidnapped children await news in Borno
Five days after the event, parents of the pupils kidnapped in Borno State said they have not yet made contact with the militants.
The youngsters, ranging from two to 19 years, were abducted last Friday from Government Day Secondary School and Mussa Central Primary School in Askira-Uba Local Government Area of Borno State.
Mussa is a remote village in Askira-Uba LGA, bordering the Sambisa Forest where it is believed that Boko Haram fighters have strongholds.
Some parents and residents told our correspondent that five days after the abduction no group had contacted them or taken responsibility for the incident.
Muhammad Saleh, father. stated the family had not been able to sleep since the children were taken.
“I haven’t slept for four days since my two children were taken. “My wife hardly eats, cries all the time,” he claimed.
The families’ worry had intensified because to the persistent silence from the abductors, Saleh claimed.
We are really upset that we have not been contacted or told the reason for the abduction of the children. “The silence is torturing us,” he said.
The attackers invaded the town at about 9am on Friday and went directly for the school, claimed a parent who asked not to be named.
“We heard gunfire after they took the children and we knew what was going on. He said: “They took the children into the bush without a fight.”
Residents stated they watched the rebels take the youngsters away helplessly.
The neighborhood was still traumatised, said Yusuf Gapchia, whose son escaped.
“No one could eat on the day of the abduction. “Some parents and security operatives trailed the insurgents and searched the whole night but could not find the children,” he claimed.
Residents fear that if the abducted children are not rescued immediately, they could be recruited by the insurgents.
Sokoto: 7 military, 1 civilian dead in Lakurawa ambush
Seven soldiers have been slain in an ambush by suspected Lakurawa terrorists at Runji village in the North West state of Sokoto. Runji village is around 10 kilometres from Illela town in Illela Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
Local sources said the incident occurred last Saturday evening when the troops were returning from a military operation on a hideaway of the Lakurawa.
The soldiers attacked the terrorists’ camp in three military vehicles, and it is thought the operation caused many fatalities on the armed group, residents added.
As the troops were returning to their base in Illela, one of the military vehicles had a technical malfunction, prompting a number of the soldiers to halt by the roadside to repair it, a person acquainted with the event told AFP.
The insider added the terrorists had evidently mobilised and tailed the soldiers to punish for the earlier attack on their base.
The attackers came into the neighborhood on around 30 motorcycles, each carrying three heavily armed fighters, he said.
“They met the soldiers at the place where the faulty vehicle was being repaired and a fierce gun battle took place,” the insider said.
But another report said seven soldiers and a civilian were killed in the attack.
“The soldiers abandoned the faulty vehicle and were walking back to their base with the help of an unnamed civilian who was very good in the terrain when the Lakurawa ambushed them killing seven soldiers and their civilian guide,” the insider added.
Initially, at least six soldiers were verified dead at the scene, and the body of another soldier was later found in a nearby thicket, raising the death toll to seven, claimed an Illela resident who asked not to be named for security concerns.
He stated the team counted seven bodies at the scene, and another was located the next day.
Security sources also verified the incident, saying the bodies of the fallen soldiers had been transferred to Sokoto.
A government official in the area also claimed that a military officer, said to be a lieutenant in the Nigerian Army, was among those murdered in the ambush.
DSP Ahmad Rufa’i, the spokesman of Sokoto State Police Command, and Col. Ahmed Usman, Special Adviser on Security Matters, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
But a top military commander acknowledged that six soldiers were killed in the event.
“Yes we had a regrettable casualty over the weekend around Illela. However, urgent tactical reinforcements have been deployed to the region and aggressive intelligence-led operations are underway to pursue and neutralise the terrorists involved.
In keeping with military custom, we cannot release the names of our dead soldiers until their next of kin have been formally notified.
“Hence, we appeal to the media to respect the privacy of the affected families and not to publish unverified casualty figures. “Instead, the focus should be on the sacrifices and dedication of our troops,” the officer added.
Bandits kill 11 people in attack on Katsina market
Suspected bandits on Sunday stormed a market in Bakori Local Government Area of Katsina State, killing 11 people, including a pregnant woman.
Witnesses told our correspondent that the assailants stormed the Guga grains market in broad daylight shooting indiscriminately and killing people on the spot.
A pregnant woman, who had come to the market to buy supplies, was among the victims. The bandits were several and shooting everywhere. A resident said: “People ran in different directions trying to save their lives.
A witness said the assailants worked for several minutes without opposition.
“They didn’t have a challenge. “They were killing people, looting shops, rustling animals and then they left,” he claimed.
Residents said the victims’ bodies were buried yesterday morning in Guga village. Most of the dead were farmers from adjacent communities, claimed a community member.
“Most of the people killed were from Gidan Sarkin Noma and Gidan Wawu. “They are hard working farmers who just came to sell their produce,” he remarked.
Residents also said numerous buildings were burnt during the raid while an unspecified amount of livestock including cattle, lambs and goats were rustled.
In the northern Bakori area, the village of Guga has been raided several times by bandits over the past year, resulting in killings, abductions and the evacuation of many families.
“We are fed up with burying our people. We’ve been attacked by bandits before. A youth leader said: “We need durable solutions.
Residents have called on the authorities to restart engagement with repentant bandits in efforts to bolster prior community-led peace deals.
“We are appealing to the government to review the past peace arrangements and improve them,” stated a village elder.
Efforts to contact security agencies for response on the new attack proved abortive as the spokesperson of Katsina State Police Command who promised to verify and call back did not answer as at the time of completing this report.
New US, Nigeria troops airstrike kills nearly 20 ISIS fighters
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has said that more than 20 fighters of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS)/Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) have been killed in numerous air strikes by the US and Nigeria in Metele, Borno State.
In a statement yesterday, Samaila Uba, director of defence information at the DHQ, said “the ongoing operations follow the neutralisation of ISIS commander Abu-Bilal al-Minuki and are part of sustained efforts to disrupt terrorist networks, remove them from the battlefield and deny the terrorists any safe haven within Nigeria,” the statement reads.
“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will continue to vigorously defend the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of the nation,” he added.
“Terrorists who threaten our citizens, our communities and our national stability will be located and defeated. “There will be no safe haven for all terrorists everywhere in Nigeria.
“Kinetic strikes against ISIS in Northeastern Nigeria” were conducted on Sunday in collaboration with the Nigerian government, the United States Africa Command (US-Africom) said on its website.
