The Federal Capital Territory High Court sitting in Apo, Abuja, on Monday, upheld the warrant of arrest originally issued against the former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Sadiya Umar Farouq, over alleged theft of $1.3m and N746.7m.
The bench warrant issued against the former minister on April 16, 2026, would stay in force, Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie held, according to PUNCH.
Farouq is also being prosecuted along with Bashir Nura Alkali and Sani Nafiu Mohammed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission for suspected criminal conspiracy, misuse of office and diversion of public monies.
Addressing the court when the matter resumed, Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), counsel to the EFCC, told the court that the matter was for arraignment, but said that the first defendant, Farouq, was not in court without any reason.
“Your lordship, we were here on April 16, 2026 when you issued a bench warrant for the arrest of the first defendant,” Jacobs stated. “That is why the second defendant immediately went to the commission and surrendered himself in obedience to your lordship’s order.”
He asked the court to set aside the warrant against the second defendant but uphold the order against the former minister.
The prosecutor also said that Farouq’s lawyer, Oladipo Okpesheyi (SAN), had earlier begged with the court to allow him a month to produce his client.
The judge was prepared to hear the defence’s plea, but the court was reluctant to give a lengthy adjournment under the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, says Jacobs.
Jacobs said: “This morning my expectation will be my colleague will say the client he promised to produce is in court today, but alas he did not.”
“I shall ask your lordship to see to it that the undertaking is enforced by counsel to produce his client rather than ask the court to discharge the order,” he said. My Lordship should not hear them unless the undertaking is put in force.”
When asked why Farouq was not present, Okpesheyi told the judge that the former minister was in Egypt receiving medical care.
“‘My lord, she is in Egypt. “Her doctor told me that she is not medically fit to attend today,” he said.
“I have a medical report on my phone from last night that she’s in hospital in Egypt on the doctor’s advice. She’ll take two months to get over it, then she can come. “We will be humbly asking for an adjournment.
However, Justice Onwuegbuzie frowned at what he termed as the persistent attempts to hinder and delay the trial.
“Last adjournment, M.S. Ibrahim promised the court to produce the first defendant. There will be no further adjournments possible.
“I will not have unnecessary adjournment in my court. I will grant you a brief adjournment and you will go and bring her even if she is on a wheelchair. And if she is not here the court will do what it has to do,” the judge said.
The judge later determined that the arrest warrant against Farouq is still current, adjourning the matter to June 8, 2026 for arraignment.
The EFCC had last week designated the former minister sought for suspected criminal conspiracy, misuse of office and misappropriation of public monies.
The anti-graft agency is to contact the commission as it knows the whereabouts of the ex-minister. The warning was written by its Head of Media and Publicity, Dele Oyewale.
EFCC has advised anyone with helpful information to contact its offices in Ibadan, Uyo, Sokoto, Maiduguri, Benin, Makurdi, Kaduna, Ilorin, Enugu, Kano, Lagos, Gombe, Port Harcourt or Abuja or call 08093322644, or email info@efcc.gov.ng or contact the local police station.
