Families of 116 persons abducted in different regions of Borno State have called on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Governor Babagana Umara Zulum to step up efforts to ensure the prompt and safe return of their loved ones. Political life
The families of the pupils, parents and other citizens, who voiced pain over the protracted imprisonment of the schoolchildren, pleaded at a press conference in Abuja, yesterday.
They specifically sought the rescue of 42 pupils and students of Mussa Primary and Junior Day Secondary School, Askira-Uba Local Government Area, who were abducted on May 15, 2026, Saturday Guardian reports.
They also demanded the immediate release of 36 students of Government Day Secondary School, Lassa, who were abducted on June 29, while sitting for their National Examinations Council (NECO) examinations.
The families also called for prompt action to rescue 38 persons allegedly abducted along the Buratai Road to Maiduguri and additional victims along the Chibok route and other vulnerable highways and communities in Borno.
The victims had been held captive for months, leaving their families to endure what they described as protracted pain, anxiety and uncertainty.
Speaking on behalf of the families, the Secretary of the Hawul/Askira-Uba Elders Forum, Malla Gadzama, said the affected homes had spent sleepless nites waiting eagerly for the return of their loved ones.
“We’ve been away from our kids too long. We have had restless nights, dread and worry and we are still asking one question, where are our loved ones and when are they coming home?” Gadzama stated.
He called on Tinubu, as the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, to deploy all the resources of the national security agencies toward the rescue of the abducted schoolchildren and other victims.
“Mr President, these families have waited too long. These are children of Borno, Governor Zulum. “Their parents are waiting. Their families are suffering. Their communities are hurting,” he said. Government
The relatives pleaded with Zulum to use all his office to secure the release of the victims and to keep in constant touch with the Federal Government, security agencies and intelligence services to investigate all available avenues to secure the release of the victims.
They referenced the successful recovery of abducted schoolchildren and teachers in Oyo State as proof that coordinated and intelligence-led efforts might also secure the release of victims trapped in Borno.
They commended the federal government and the security forces on the Oyo rescue effort, but wondered why abducted children and other victims in Borno should stay in captivity.
We have seen what can be done when government and security agencies respond with urgency. “But why should the children of Borno wait so long?” they wondered.
The families insisted their demand was not for special treatment but for equal protection, urgency and devotion to human life.
“We are not asking for any special treatment. “We are asking for equal protection, urgency, determination and commitment to human life,” the added.
They called for the urgent rescue and safe return of the 42 pupils and students taken from Mussa Primary and Junior Day Secondary School, 36 students of Government Day Secondary School, Lassa and 38 individuals reportedly abducted along the Buratai Road to Maiduguri.
They also appealed for swift action to rescue those abducted along the Chibok road and other key and vulnerable routes in the state.
Apart from rescue activities, the families wanted regular, transparent and reliable information from the government and security forces on measures being taken to ensure the release of the victims.
The families warned against the normalisation of the protracted abductions in Nigeria, saying that the continuing imprisonment of innocent individuals must not just another statistic in the country’s security issue. Geographic Reference
Read more news News Gov “The continuing captivity of these children cannot be normalised. As time goes on, we must not allow them to become statistics and fall off the public radar.
“100 days is a long time. 100 days without our kids. 100 nites of sleeplessness. 100 days of terror and sorrow. They remarked, “100 days of uncertainty.”
Also addressing, the member representing Hawul/Askira-Uba Federal Constituency, Midala Balami, sympathised with the devastated families and pleaded with the government to do all possible to ensure the safe return of the victims.
“The abductions have brought a lot of emotional and psychological trauma to the families and residents of the constituency,” Balami said.
“You can see here among those people, a father whose wife and five-month daughter were kidnaped. We, as a representative of Askira-Uba, suffer sleepless nights.
“It’s so devastating that most times I lose appetite and I scarcely find even my peace. “This is where we are in this level of devastation,” he remarked.
He called on the government and security forces to redouble their efforts to bring the victims home securely to their families.
