Abuja, Nigeria – The 20th Abuja International Film Festival, with the theme “Beyond Borders: Globalisation of the Film Business,” successfully concluded with its Awards and closing ceremony at the Event Center of the Silverbird Cinema Abuja. The festival hosted envoys from various countries, including the United States of America, China, France, Bangladesh, India, Vietnam, Cote d’Ivoire, and Ghana, among others.
Esteemed guests at the event included the executive director of the National Film and Video Censors Board, Adedayo Thomas, former DG of FRCN Dr Ladan Salihu, presidents of Actors Guild of Nigeria Chief Emeka Rollas MON and Queen Blessings Association of Movie Producers Nigeria, as well as representatives from the Honorable Ministers of Arts, Culture, and Creative.
During the closing ceremony, special recognition awards were presented to organizations that had made significant contributions to the film industry, such as the NFVCB, British Council, US Embassy, China Cultural Centre, Association of Movie Producers, Actors Guild of Nigeria, and Directors Guild of Nigeria. The festival also honored veteran filmmakers like Andy Amenechi, Bond Emeruwa, including Donpedro Okojie publisher TNT news.
In his welcome speech, the festival Director highlighted the festival’s journey and its pivotal role in developing Nollywood as an industry through capacity building initiatives and providing a platform for young filmmakers to showcase their works. He stressed the need for improved funding for the film festival circuit.
The festival awarded winners in various categories, celebrating exceptional talent and creativity. The recipients of the 20th Abuja International Film Festival Awards include:
1. Outstanding Experimental Film – “The Delectable Azimasama” (Nigeria)
2. Animation – “No Way Out” (Uganda)
3. Outstanding Cinematography – “Momo in Dubai” (India)
4. Outstanding Music Score – “Silent Storm” (Cameroon)
5. Outstanding Screenplay – “Tibetan Hearts” (USA)
6. Outstanding Short Film Foreign – “Suitcase” (Iran)
7. Outstanding Actress – Bimbo Akintola, “Dangerous Mission” (Nigeria)
8. Outstanding Actor – Jude Orhorha, “Ivie” (Nigeria)
9. Outstanding Feature Film (Foreign) – “When the Leaves Broke” (Nigeria)
10. Outstanding Feature Film (Nigeria) – “Saving Raymond”
11. Outstanding Documentary Film – “Ichie Mask in Time” (Nigeria) & “Ikorodu: The History, The People, and The Culture” (Nigeria)
12. Outstanding Short Film (Nigeria) – “The Major”
13. Outstanding Student Film – “Leaked” (Nigeria)
14. Outstanding Director – Teco Benson, “Dangerous Mission”
15. Audience Choice Award – “Riding Rail in China” (China)
16. Golden Jury Award – “Dangerous Mission”
The 20th Abuja International Film Festival celebrated filmmakers and their contributions to the global film industry while promoting cultural exchange and understanding. The festival provided a platform for filmmakers to showcase their vision and connect with industry professionals.