The United Nations has said it is deeply concerned about the repeated terrorist assaults on schools in Nigeria. Stéphane Dujarric, the UN Spokesperson, said this in answer to a NAN journalist, on the recent coordinated attacks on several schools around the country.
The UN’s alarm comes amid a terrible week of violence against educational facilities in two Nigerian states. Local officials and rights groups say more than 80 children are missing after a spate of militant attacks on schools in Nigeria in the past week.
Militants kidnapped at least 42 children from an elementary school in the Askira Uba and Chibok districts of Borno State between Wednesday and Thursday. It was not immediately clear who was behind the attack. Amnesty International said the incident took place in Mussa village near Sambisa forest, a recognized stronghold of Boko Haram and its breakaway group the Islamic State West Africa Province.
Armed men on Friday abducted 39 kids and seven teachers in a planned raid on various schools in the Ahoro Esinele community in Oriire region of Oyo State. The attack simultaneously targeted a Baptist Nursery and Primary School in Yawota and two additional schools in Esiele.
The Christian Association of Nigeria in Oyo State said 46 persons have been abducted, mostly youngsters aged between two to 16 years. Police called it a “coordinated attack”. Two teachers were also alleged to have been killed in the Oyo State attacks.
President Bola Tinubu condemned the attacks as “barbaric,” and said the federal government was working with Oyo State to “rescue all the victims,” Vanguard News reported. “We hope for a breakthrough soon,” his office said in a statement.
Earlier this year, the UN Security Council had taken note of the increasing security situation in Nigeria. Members of the Security Council denounced in the greatest terms the horrific terrorist attack on 3 February 2026 in Kwara State, that resulted in the deaths of at least 100 people and the destruction of properties.
They reaffirmed that all acts of terrorism are unlawful and unacceptable, regardless of their motivation, and asked all States to cooperate constructively with the Government of Nigeria in bringing the perpetrators to justice.
The problem has been developing for months. The Global Terrorism Index shows that deaths from terrorist strikes in Nigeria increased 46 percent in 2025 to 750, with thousands of schools, health centers and agricultural areas damaged since the insurgency started in 2009.
Analysts say armed groups often target schools to draw attention and push authorities, making them increasingly vulnerable.
Nigeria has seen periodic security threats, including the kidnapping of pupils, especially in the northern region. Last year, more than 300 children were taken hostage in two major school attacks.
As of the time of this post, none of the children abducted in this week’s attacks had been found.
